April 20, 2004

Tambaram, Mambalam, Chromepet, Saidapet, Valasaravakkam...???

We have so many areas in Chennai like Tambaram, Mambalam, Triplicane, Mylapore, Chromepet, Valasaravakkam, Virugambakkam, Vadapalani, Pallavaram, Saidapet, Velacherry.

Ever wondered how they got their names? Any one knows the significane behind these names?

I know the naming reasons for Triplicane, Mylapore, Washermanpet. (I will start blogging eventually). But don't know the meaning or reasons for most of other areas. Guess it should be an interesting task to find the meaning and share the same.

HHmmm...maybe let me embark on the assignment, trying to figure why Mambalam was named Mambalam, or why Tambaram is called as Tambaram.


Inputs invited from Blog readers.

Either mail me, or write in the comments section.

Update:Watch out for updates on the naming conventions on my other blog on Chennai

No comments: